You are here
The Finger Lakes: An All Seasons Destination
You haven’t experienced the Finger Lakes until you visit during the Fall and Winter. The change of season does not mark the end of the great list of activities that are available, rather it welcomes new seasonal explorations and events that highlight the best that the region has to offer. Embrace the autumn chill and pack for a winter wonderland as you prepare for a new journey throughout Upstate New York.
The Finger Lakes invite you to find a new tradition, a new flavor, a new sight and new memories. An endless calendar of ongoing and special events is waiting. Get a head start planning your trip with these adventures to consider:
Fall in the Finger Lakes
- Watch the hills and valleys burst into color as the Fall foliage sweeps across the region. County Road 12 Overlook in Naples, NY or Ontario County Park Overlook offer the best view around.
- Join the celebration of Bavarian food, music, and drinks at Oktoberfest on Main Street in Canandaigua.
- Admire nature even from indoors in Clifton Springs and Naples, NY as you make your way through new local art exhibits that feature pieces based on the areas beauty.
- Spend the day at new heights with sky rides, hikes, and tastings with a visit to Bristol Mountain Fall Festival.
- Become mesmerized by hundreds of glowing hand-carved pumpkins that line the Ontario Pathways trail during the Great Pumpkin Walk.
Winter in the Finger Lakes
- Learn about architecture and history when you escape the cold and head for a local tour. First up is the Smith Opera House, featuring facility tours to mark the start of the125th anniversary celebration.
- Get out on the ice! Rent skates or bring your own for an afternoon at Geneva Recreation Complex or Greater Canandaigua Civic Center. Then try your hand at ice fishing. With a handful of major lakes and the title as Lake Trout Capital there is no need to put your tackle box away here.
- Take a cooking class and become an expert at food pairings, or create a new holiday favorite at a pie baking workshop. New York Kitchen has a full line-up of classes and happenings to choose from.
- Cozy up and settle in to an idyllic B&B as the snow comes down around you. Destinations such as Geneva on the Lake and 1795 Acorn Inn provide styles for everyone from families, and friend groups to even a romantic getaway.
- Pair winter with wine, trust us! Visit the Canandaigua Lake Wine Trail during a quieter season to experience new varieties and one-on-one service. Plus nothing beats the magic of watching fresh snow cover the vineyards as you look out on the horizon.
Don’t let the change in weather get you down, instead get out there! Get outside or try something new as you explore the beautiful Finger Lakes of Upstate New York. Don’t forget to visit www.visitfingerlakes.com for more inspiration on things to do, places to stay and more when planning your next road trip!